February is a month of budget deliberations, approvals, final reports and applying for new funding. It is a time to collect impact stories on the funding received from government and locally raised dollars. And to ensure we have utilized any remaining dollars before planning for more work to be done in 2021.
Two upcoming budget consultations are your opportunity to speak directly to our government about the need to address and prevent poverty. Partner organization and individuals are encouraged to complete online surveys.
- Ontario 2021 Consultation: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2021-budget-consultations – open until Feb 12th, 2021.
- Federal Government’s Pre-Budget Consultations. Ideas can be submitted by email, mail or by filling out an online survey, Open until Feb 19th, 2021.
- The Poverty Task Force will be making submissions to both in partnership with our colleagues Poverty 2 Prosperity Huron Perth to emphasize rural realities.
- The United Way of Bruce Grey is issuing a granting call for area charities to apply for funding to support the broader community. Applications can be pandemic or non-pandemic related. Details here: https://unitedwayofbrucegrey.com/about-us/community-impact-grants/2021-granting-call/
- A reminder to colleagues that the report on the second round of Emergency Community Support Fund is due 30 April 2021. Please use the same form used in round one of contact the United Way for assistance.
- Second Harvest: has received an additional $8 million from the government’s Emergency Food Security Fund, to help improve access to healthy food to charities and non-profits supporting people experiencing food insecurity. Grant applications up to $20,000.
- This funding is an extension of COVID-19 Emergency Relief which began in March 2020. Since the start of the pandemic, Second Harvest has provided over $ 20 million in financial support to community organizations across Canada. If you have funding questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phase II of the Canada Learning Bond Pilot Project – Call for Proposals is out from the Minister of Employment, Workforce Development, and Disability Inclusion. $6.7 million in funding for Phase II. Public call for proposals to choose partner organizations. Government will fund projects to help increase awareness of the Bond and reduce barriers to access so that children who need it most can benefit from this education savings incentive.
- Community Meals: over 130,000 meals have been distributed since January 2020.
- Meals2Motels: 1,202 meals were served in January 2021. Since April 2020, 7,205 meals have been served to people sheltered in motels.
- Good Food Box: due to the closure of spaces, many programs are not operating under the lockdown. Please call 211 for the latest details on locations/dates/times. We shall have an updated list up soon on our COVID19 Resource Page.
- United Way of Bruce Grey: There is some remaining toilet paper and sanitation supplies provided through the United Way and available for delivery to community food programs. Contact John McLaughlin, Habitat for Humanity, 519-270-8416 for delivery.
- Second Harvest has a new app which will match organizations who have a donated truck with rescues to complete safe deliveries. Login to beta.foodrescue.ca to update your location profile so that they have your facility information.
- The Province’s Gas Tax program is announced a combined $1,052,435 in funding to several municipalities in Grey Bruce. Municipality of Meaford ($65,797), City of Owen Sound ($245,810) and Hanover ($740,828). Hanover is the lead municipality for Saugeen Mobility and Regional Transit (SMART), which serves Arran-Elderslie, Brockton, Chatsworth, Hanover, Huron-Kinloss, Kincardine, Saugeen Shores, Southgate and West Grey.
Stay well, Jill