National Indigenous History Month invited us to reflect on the unique connections and relationships Indigenous people and their ancestors have and have had with this land for thousands of years and countless generations. Many people partners gathered on June 21st to celebrate National Indigenous Peoples’ Day. We shall continue to celebrate Indigenous-led initiatives changing systems.
- Gladue Courts: Indigenous People’s Courts are for self-identifying Indigenous adults and youths, including Metis and Inuit and First Nations. They’re intended to help rectify the over-representation of Aboriginal people in custody, a reflection of intergenerational harm and the impact of colonialism. It meets the second Tuesday of every month. Another justice option for Aboriginal people in Grey County | Grey Bruce This Week
- Anishinaabemowin: Fanshawe college will launch a new 2-year immersion program in the Fall 2023. Fanshawe launching Anishinaabemowin immersion program | CBC News
Pride Month may be coming to a close, but our commitment to supporting and uplifting the 2S-LGBTQQIAP+ community remains as strong as ever! While the month saw many parades, flags flying and pride celebrations in many communities across Grey Bruce, we also saw hatred and intolerance in reaction to these events. Grey Bruce households flying pride flag targeted by hate mail. | Ontario Morning from CBC Radio with Ramraajh Sharvendiran | Live Radio | CBC Listen
There is much more work to be done to advocate for diversity and inclusion in our communities; and we call on our local governments to take a stronger stand against hate and discrimination.
- Grey Bruce Pride is petitioning local government to develop more Anti-Hate and Anti-Oppression Response Policies and Proactive Prevention Policies within Grey Bruce. Petition · Immediate Anti-Hate and Anti-Oppression Response Policies Required within Grey Bruce · Change.org
- Beth Ezekiel Synagogue call on local governments to take a strong stand against hate and discrimination in every form: to increase engagement with all targeted groups, to support meaningful public education programs and, to draft policies that ensure our friends and neighbours live safe, secure, and peaceful lives in Grey/Bruce.
Bruce County Strategic Plan has been released with a pillar focused on diversity, equity and inclusion. Bruce County: Strategic Plan 2023-2026
- Grocery Rebate: the one-time payment to support low- and modest-income Canadians and families was issued on July 5th, 2023. It can be up to an extra $467 for eligible couples with two children; up to an extra $234 for single Canadians without children; and an extra $225 for seniors, on average. Canadians to receive grocery rebate this week. Here’s when? (citynews.ca)
- Free Income Tax Clinics: July is the first month where taxpayers receive their eligible payments if they filed their taxes on time. If you work with low-modest income individuals or newcomers, July is a great month to provide information on benefits and credits available to them. This allows the individuals to ensure that they are receiving all benefits and credits where they meet the eligibility conditions and serves as a reminder to file their taxes as early as possible if they have missed the deadline of April 30, 2023. Find a service at: freetaxclinics.ca
- Canada Disability Benefit Act (Bill C-22): was passed by Parliament on June 22nd which proposes to create a federal income supplement for low-income, working-age people with disabilities, modelled after the Guaranteed Income Supplement. Summary of the proposed Bill C-22: The Canada Disability Benefit Act – Canada.ca
- CERB Impact Study: Policy Alternatives has concluded that CERB was a positive experience for recipients, providing stability during a global crisis: 70% of respondents said CERB had a positive impact on their household financial situation. But CERB was more than an income support: 67% said it helped them deal with the stress of the pandemic, 60% said it allowed them to take care of ill family members and 49% said it helped them re-enter the job market. CERB_Final_June 12, 2023.pdf (policyalternatives.ca)
- Grey Bruce Community Volunteer Income Tax Program Network: a gathering of Volunteer Coordinators, volunteers, social agencies and government representatives will take place on September 14th. See poster for more details. For those involved in the program, please register for this free event at: http://bit.ly/3CTANjv
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce: released a brief concluding that it is critical to build the right types and mix of housing, including purpose-built rentals, missing middle, student, non-profit, cooperative and supportive housing. Home Stretched: Tackling Ontario’s Housing Affordability Crisis Through Innovative Solutions and Partnerships (occ.ca)
- Grey County Homelessness & Transitional Housing System Enhancement Plan: In Grey County, costs related to short term shelter of individuals and families have risen sharply since 2018 and the need continues to rise. A new report outlines the cost of the program, ongoing budget needs, barriers to the existing system, gaps and complexities as we move into the summer and plan for the winter season.
- Grey Bruce Coordinated Access/By Names List: as of May 31st, 117 households are on the list, 100 experiencing chronic homelessness. 63 households have moved off the list since November 2022. We have been designated a Built for Zero Community. Built For Zero Canada – Community Map (bfzcanada.ca)
FOOD SECURITY SUPPORT
- Bruce County Public Library Seed Libraries: are now in every municipality in Bruce County. Free of charge to anyone interested in growing food. Bruce County Public Library Introduces Seed Libraries | Bruce County
- Grey Bruce Community Garden Network: led by The Sustainability Project has mapped out all the gardens in the Network across Grey Bruce. Community Garden Network | The Sustainability Project.
- Huron-Perth Food Insecurity Report: was released in May 2023. Of the people surveyed, 63% of people indicated they experienced food insecurity. (39% said it happened sometimes and 24% indicated it happens often). 2023-06-22-Food-Security-Report-UPDATE.pdf (unitedway.ca)
HEALTH EQUITY SUPPORT
- SOAHAC Access Mobile Dental Hygiene: provides culturally safe dental care in the comfort of the SOAHAC clinic in Owen Sound. Contact Courtney Mandawoub If you have any questions at 519-376-5508. To book an appointment, email directly to: email@example.com
- Period Poverty: on World Menstrual Hygiene Day, a Tampon Tuesday awareness campaign was launched by the United Way BG, Its Personal Period and Grey Bruce Bounce Radio. Local organizations calling on Ontario to provide more funding for menstrual hygiene products in schools – Bruce Beach Zine Many partners were interviewed on Grey Bruce Bounce Radio to increase awareness https://fb.watch/lCBuQX5dqr/, https://fb.watch/lCBNc3m-xj/ and https://fb.watch/lCBPxM1uDZ/
- Grey Transit Route: Owen Sound, Wiarton and Sauble is running 4 times daily 7 days/week for the summer. Find schedules and pre-book your seat at www.greytransitroute.com or call 226-910-1001 for more information. Free transit on weekends for many routes!
- Ontario Trillium Foundation: applications are open for 2024 Youth Opportunities Fund grants. Ontario Helping Children and Youth Overcome Barriers | Ontario Newsroom
Stay well, Jill