The Bruce Grey Poverty Task Force/United Way of Bruce Grey has been sending out updates over the last 2 weeks – sharing out Grey Bruce partner updates and resources. Our Community Updates #1-4 have focused on Food Supports, Housing Supports, Youth and Mental Health Supports, etc. Relevant resources and Public Health guidelines are shared as links or posted on our COVID19 Community Resources page. All information in our lists are shared with 211. Please continue to share your updated COVID 19 services with 211.
There are daily new announcements of layoffs and for many people there is a lot of uncertainty around their jobs and paychecks. So in this Community Update we have pulled together a list of income & employment supports offered by partners.
INCOME & EMPLOYMENT SUPPORTS
- Caroline Arajau-Abbotts has pulled together a Grey Bruce Income and Employment Supports List with the intention of providing support to people who are applying to EI/CERB as well as those looking for employment. We have also included support to small businesses/employers.
- May IP of the Pathways Project has pulled together a COVID-19 Supports for Newcomers & Immigrants page.
Our incredible Community Food Banks and Meal Programs are continuing to provide incredible support to our communities!
- We continue to work with Community Food Banks and Meal Programs to support their operations.We update the Grey Bruce Community Food Program Listregularly.
- Many of the Good Food Boxes are closed due to their locations being closed.
- GB Public Health has developed Guidelines for Grocery Shopping. And the Grey Bruce Grocery Store List is updated regularly. Please note that Easter holidays are coming up and store hours will change.
- A Community Voices member is currently creating a Grey Bruce Pet Food List.
- A Rapid Needs Survey was carried out by the United Way of Bruce Grey with Food Banks/Community Meal programs resulting in requests for a variety of food and non-food items.
- The United Way Food Bank fund has started to respond to requests. Initially, purchasing bulk items that can be distributed across multiple organizations. For example, a bulk purchase of toilet paper was distributed by Habitat of Humanity trucks to Food Banks.
Partners continue to provide homelessness and housing support in our communities.
- A recent Housing meeting hosted by GB Public Health identified challenges and concerns with COVID19 education for people. Identifying clients who are high risk or acute. Concerns were raised around mental health & addiction and women fleeing violence. Social distancing does not work with people who don’t have a place to stay home in.
- Bruce and Grey County housing have ramped up their cleaning services and increased social distancing education.
- The Housing sector is waiting to hear about Homelessness Prevention funding from the government.
- Seniors’ Dental Program is on hold except for emergency services.
- We continue to update the Grey Bruce Housing Support List
- Violence Prevention Grey Bruce has posted COVID 19 Services Update.
- Partnership for Kids is about to be up-and-running. Paul Wiley of Martin’s School Transit has a GoFundMe page to purchase toys from The Rocking Horse and deliver to famlies through the The Scenic City of Good Cheer volunteers. Referrals will be accepted only through social agencies/food banks and sent to Keystone. Public Health has recommended that only new toys go to families and not used donations.
Stay well from the team at Bruce Grey Poverty Task Force/United Way of Bruce Grey